The barn was originally built in 1896 by a Civil War veteran of Union Co. named William Harris, called Uncle Billy Harris by many. It was made of cottonwood trees milled at the Union County sawmill located on Grand River in the eastern part of the county. It was donated by the Shaun Kelly family from north of Afton. Tools used to build the barn were donated by Howard Harris, grandson of Uncle Billy.
Erected by Union County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 3.056′ N, 94° 22.93′ W. Marker is in Creston, Iowa, in Union County. Click for map. Marker is on the barn at the Union County Historical Village in McKinley Park, about 400 feet west of the intersection of McKinley & Stone Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Creston IA 50801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln No. 5 School (within shouting distance of this marker); Depot, Caboose and Signal tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Barber Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Memorial
Also see . . . Union County Historical Village, Creston IA. (Submitted on August 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.