The Black (Pugh's Mill) Covered Bridge
One of the few remaining covered bridges in southwestern Ohio and the only one in Butler County on its original site, this bridge was built in 1868-1869 to give access to a saw and grist mill owned by James B. Pugh on Four Mile (Tallawanda) Creek. The wooden frame three-story mill had a 16-foot overshot water wheel to power it. Pugh's mill ceased operation after two decades. The name of the span gradually changed to Black Bridge, likely because there was a white covered bridge downstream near present State Route 73. The Oxford Museum Association assumed stewardship of the Black Bridge in 1976 as part of the American Bicentennial celebration. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It was restored and rededicated in 2000.
One of the longest and most impressive of Ohio's covered bridges, the Black (Pugh's Mill) Bridge was built in 1868-1869 by master builders Bandin, Butin, and Bowman. It is unique for its combination of two truss types -Childs and Long- within a single structure. Originally a cambered (arched) single span of 209 feet with a roadway width of 18 feet, it was modified in 1869 with the inclusion of a central pier under it for additional support. The trusses were then remodeled by replacing some of the wooden diagonals with iron rods to enable the builders to lower
Erected 2001 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Oxford Museum Association, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 31.44′ N, 84° 44.086′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on Corso Road, on the right. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford OH 45056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oxford Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); The Verlin L. Pulley Tower (approx. 1.1 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey (approx. 1.1 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Legend of the Baby in the Well (approx. 1.2 miles away); The DeWitt Family / The DeWitt Log Homestead (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Restoration Movement / Doty Settlement Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oxford.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.