Fort Laramie in Goshen County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
1850 – 1868
The remains of the first guardhouse constructed in 1850, at Fort Laramie were discovered by workmen in 1960 during restoration of the “new” guardhouse. This site is a good example of the structural changes that occurred during the forts forty-one year military history. Old buildings were torn down and new ones erected, sometimes directly over old remains. The tiny cells below were only five feet in height and length and were usually reserved for “mill birds” or repeat offenders. Solitary confinement for two weeks on a daily ration of bread and water was not an unusual punishment. This original guardhouse was torn down in 1868.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 42° 12.149′ N, 104° 33.412′ W. Marker is in Fort Laramie, Wyoming, in Goshen County. Marker can be reached from Wyoming Route 160, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located at Fort Laramie National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Laramie WY 82212, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The “New” Guardhouse and Adjacent Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); General Sink (Latrine) (within The Queens of Soap Suds Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Army Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Parade Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Embassy on the Northern Plains (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Infantry Barracks (about 300 feet away); “Officers Row” (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Laramie.
Also see . . . Fort Laramie National Historic Site. (Submitted on August 10, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.