Brockville in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Leeds-Grenville County Court House
Symbols of law and authority to a new and changing society, the district court houses of Upper Canada were architecturally prominent buildings in the colony. Of these, one of the most grandiose is the former Johnstown District court house which was erected in the early 1840s and at present houses the county courts for Leeds-Grenville. Planned by the noted Toronto architect, John Howard, the building easily incorporates the diverse facilities of a court room, offices and jail while presenting an exterior of classical and monumental proportions.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 44° 35.446′ N, 75° 41.143′ W. Marker is in Brockville, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Court House Square, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is affixed to the right of the main entrance of the court house building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Court House Square, Brockville, Ontario K6V 7N3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sir William Buell Richards (here, next to this marker); Sally Grant (a few steps from this marker); James Morris (within shouting distance Johnstown District Court House and Gaol (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Sir Isaac Brock. K.C.B. (within shouting distance of this marker); Ogle Robert Gowan, 1803-1876 (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Former Brockville Post Office (about 90 meters away); The Brockville "Van" or Caboose (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Brockville.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.