Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tarrytown in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Christ Church

 
 
Christ Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 28, 2008
1. Christ Church Marker
Inscription.
Erected in 1837. For many
years Washington Irving
was vestryman and warden.
Ivy is from cuttings from
vine on his home Sunnyside.


 
Erected 1935 by the State Education Department.
 
Location. 41° 4.491′ N, 73° 51.539′ W. Marker is in Tarrytown, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of South Broadway (U.S. 9) and Elizabeth Street, on the left when traveling north on South Broadway. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: South Broadway, Tarrytown NY 10591, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Asbury M. E. Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Second Reformed Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Action in Tarrytown (approx. 0.3 miles away); André Captors Monument (approx. half a mile away); Andre Captured (approx. half a mile away); Korean & Viet Nam Memorial Monuments (approx. half a mile away); “The Memorial Church of Washington Irving” (approx. half a mile away); Philipsburg Manor (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tarrytown.
 
Also see . . .  Christ Episcopal Church & San Marcos Mission.
Tarrytown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 28, 2008
2. Tarrytown Marker
The ivy from Washington Irving's home that is mentioned on the marker can be seen in this photo next to the door of the church.
(Submitted on July 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Christ Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 28, 2008
3. Christ Church
Christ Church in Tarrytown was recognized as a landmark by the New York Department of Education in 1935, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement