Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Lindenwood Christian Church

(Disciples of Christ)

 
 
The Lindenwood Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, August 12, 2015
1. The Lindenwood Christian Church Marker
Inscription.
Front
This congregation began meeting in the home of Simon Bradford at Front and Talbot in 1837. Encouraged by visits from Alexander Campbell, one of the founders of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the first Christian Church in Memphis was organized in 1843. Services were held in a school building at Mulberry and Linden Street, which was purchased in 1851. A two-story brick building was built on the property in 1859, which was occupied by Union forces during the Civil War. Called Linden Avenue Christian Church, it remained at that location for 110 years. In 1948 the church purchased property at Union and East Parkway and relocated to this site in 1953. A Recreational Building with gymnasium was completed in 1962, and a new sanctuary dedicated in 1966.

Back
Ministers serving the Linden Avenue/Lindenwood Christian Church
B.F. Hall 1847-1852
Robert E. Chew 1853-1855
R.A Cook 1863-1865
T.W. Caskey 1865-1868
Curtis J. Smith 1868-1869
David Walk 1869-1878
J.M. Tribble 1879-1882
George W. Sweeney 1883-1885
John B. Briney 1886-1888
J. W. Ingram 1888-1892
John A. Brooks 1892-1895
W.E. Ellis 1895-1897
R.D. Rice 1897-1899
W.H. Sheffer 1900-1916
Walter M. White 1916-1937
H. Thomas Wood 1937-1968
James L. Christiansen

The Lindenwood Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, August 12, 2015
2. The Lindenwood Christian Church Marker
1968-1974
C. Roy Stauffer 1974-
 
Erected 1993 by Shelby County Historical Commission and the Elders of Lindenwood Christian Church.
 
Location. 35° 8.018′ N, 89° 58.889′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Union Avenue just west of Patricia Drive, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2408 Union Ave, Memphis TN 38112, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Site of the former Union Avenue United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Griffin House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Hiker (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hutchison School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Overton Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Zippin Pippin / Libertyland (approx. one mile away); John B. Weatherall (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Memphis.
 
Also see . . .  Church History - Lindenwood Christian Church website. (Submitted on August 13, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
The Lindenwood Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, August 12, 2015
3. The Lindenwood Christian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 96 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement