and abandoned in 1880.
Graceland Cemetery was opened in 1881. The first burial was February 2, 1881. All bodies and stones from the abandoned cemetery were then moved to Graceland Cemetery. June 8, 1903, the city of Creston purchased Graceland Cemetery and it was operated by the City Council until July 7, 1930 when a Board of Trustees was created by the Council, delegating all powers to said Board. December 7, 1942, twenty additional acres of land were purchased seven acres of which have been developed into memorial gardens.
[Dedicated] May 30, 1967
Erected 1967 by Graceland Cemetery and Olive Beckwith.
Location. 41° 2.186′ N, 94° 21.361′ W. Marker is in Creston, Iowa, in Union County. Marker is on Cherry Street Road 1.2 miles south of Taylor Street (U.S. 34), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1844 South Cherry Street Road, Creston IA 50801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Creston Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial Phillips 66 Gasoline Station (approx. 1.4 miles away); Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad Depot (approx. 1.5 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.5 miles away); Burlington Route NE-10 Waycar #13513 (approx. 1.5 miles away); Barn (approx. 1.7 miles away); Lincoln No. 5 School (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Creston.
Also see . . . Graceland Cemetery. (Submitted on August 12, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.