Fort Laramie in Goshen County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Post Bakeries
Four different bakeries operated successively at Fort Laramie. The remains of two bakeries stand before you. The nearer, built in 1876, was used until 1884, when it was converted into a school. A bakery built upon the far site operated from 1884 until 1890. Army bakers produced one eighteen-ounce loaf daily for each man at the fort. With a garrison numbering as many as 700 men, imagine the production that resulted!
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 42° 12.203′ N, 104° 33.367′ W. Marker is in Fort Laramie, Wyoming, in Goshen County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 160, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located behind the Visitor Center at Fort Laramie National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Laramie WY 82212, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commissary Storehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Handcarts – The New Plan (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Quartermaster’s Area (about 300 feet away); Embassy on the Northern Plains (about 300 feet away); Crossroads of a Nation Moving West The Sutler’s House (about 400 feet away); Transcontinental Telegraph (about 400 feet away); Fort Laramie (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Laramie.
Also see . . . Fort Laramie National Historic Site. (Submitted on August 12, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.