Lecompte in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Name Lecompte
In 1854 the residents of Smith's Landing, a small trading post on historic Bayou Boeuf renamed their settlement LECOMTE for a famous horse. LECOMTE was owned by Thomas Jefferson and Montfort Wells, area plantation owners. LECOMTE won his first race in 1853 on the Metairie course in New Orleans. In 1854 he won the Great State Stakes four mile heat in 7 minutes 26 seconds best time ever previously recorded. When a sign was painted for the Town a P was added to the name and the town has been known as LECOMPTE ever since.
Erected 2006 by Town of Lecompte.
Location. 31° 5.283′ N, 92° 23.772′ W. Marker is in Lecompte, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 71/167 and Louisiana Route 112, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 71/167. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1810 US-71, Lecompte LA 71346, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Epps House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 7.8 miles away).
Categories. • Animals • Antebellum South, US • Settlements & Settlers • Sports •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 135 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.