White Castle in Iberville Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Belle Grove Plantation
One of the grandest plantation mansions ever built in Louisiana, Belle Grove was built at the pinnacle of prosperity during the 1850s sugar boom in the South. Sixty-two feet in height, her thirty foot pillars were capped by solid cypress Corinthian capitals six feet high. Designed by Henry Howard for John Andrews—completed in 1857—the home was later owned by the Henry Ware family. Abandoned by 1925, the Historic American Buildings Survey documented her in 1938. This national treasure burned in 1952.
Erected by Friends of Belle Grove Plantation of Louisiana.
Location. 30° 11.144′ N, 91° 7.205′ W. Marker is in White Castle, Louisiana, in Iberville Parish. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 405 and Stone Street, on the left when traveling south on State Highway 405. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Castle LA 70788, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Camp Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); Staff Housing, U.S. Public Health Service Hospital, Carville (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Civil War Soldier (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bayou Goula (approx. 4.1 miles away); Iberville African-American Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); St. Raphael Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); St - Gabriel (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. Gabriel Church (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Friends of Belle Grove Plantation of Louisiana. (Submitted on August 17, 2015.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . 3, 4. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017.