Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Major George Croghan † 17th U.S. Infantry
who with 160 men and one cannon
“Old Betsy” defended Fort Stephenson
against 700 British under Proctor
and 2000 Indians under Tecumseh
August 1st and 2nd 1813
Location. 41° 20.51′ N, 83° 7.628′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker is at the intersection of Hayes Avenue and Buckland Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Hayes Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at the entrance to the Hayes Presidential Center. Marker is in this post office area: Fremont OH 43420, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spiegel Grove State Park (here, next to this marker); Spiegel Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Rutherford B. Hayes (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Spiegel Grove (about 600 feet away); Colonel Webb C. Hayes, M.H. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Samuel Thomson (approx. ľ mile away); Maj. Geníl. James B. McPherson (approx. ľ mile away); Harrison Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fremont.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.