Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Chattanooga Brush Electric Light Company
The first central electric generating station in the south began operating on this site May 6, 1882. The Brush Electric Light Company of Chattanooga was formed by five Civil War veterans. They were:
- Hiram S. Chamberlain, USA
- George C. Connor, CSA
- H. Clay Evans, USA
- Summerfield A. Key, CSA
- W. S. Marshall, USA
The "Lighting Station" was operated from 1882 until 1887 when the Brush Electric Light Company was combined with the Hauss Electric Lighting and Power Company to form the Chattanooga Electric Light Company.
Text on Monument:
Erected by the Chattanooga Section, IEEE.
Location. 35° 2.63′ N, 85° 18.763′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Carter Street near West 11th Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. This marker is located in downtown Chattanooga, across the street from the Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, and along the side of a downtown parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Military History of Chattanooga (about The Union Depot (about 800 feet away); Crutchfield House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Crutchfield House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 2d Line of Works (approx. ¼ mile away); A Point in the 2d Line of Works (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Coca-Cola Bottling Company In The United States (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chattanooga.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.