“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kansas City in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Gilliss House Hotel

Gilliss House Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael W. Kruse, August 20, 2015
1. Gilliss House Hotel Marker
The stone wall that still exists today against the bluff between Delaware and Wyandotte Streets is the remains of the once-famous Gilliss House Hotel. Built around 1850, the lively riverfront hotel went by various names including the Union, American, Eldridge, and finally the Gilliss House Hotel.

During the Border War era, 1854-1860, the hotel was a hotbed of intrigue as it changed hands between pro-slavery and abolitionist proprietors. Throughout the 1880s it was the main, and eventually the only, hotel here on the Missouri riverfront. Over the years many prominent frontiersmen, including Kit Carson stayed in the first-rate inn before journeying out onto the plains or returning east via steamboat.

“I write you from a point which is getting to be more and more a favorite resort for those engaged in the Santa Fe trade… It has the advantage of an excellent landing, accessible at all stages of the river, and is only four or five miles from the “Plains”, with which it is connected by a road that, already good, is constantly improving. The Traders seem well pleased with the treatment they receive here.” A guest to the hotel, Kansas Public Ledger, 1851

[Picture caption]

When Kansas City’s businesses and growing population spread south of the river, the riverfront became less desirable and the hotel’s popularity dropped. The Gillis House fortune declined, and the hotel’s heyday was over. Soon the lowly old building would become a pickle factory. And finally, in the 1920s, the long-standing structure burned to the ground.

Photograph courtesy of the Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri.

Erected by National Park Service and Kansas City Area Historic Trails Association.
Location. 39° 6.777′ N, 94° 35.067′ W. Marker is in Kansas City, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker can be reached from Main Street. Click for map. On the southwest corner of the Town of Kansas Observation Deck. Marker is in this post office area: Kansas City MO 64106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Building Through the Bluffs (here, next to this marker); Hannibal Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Waterfront Town to Metropolis (within shouting distance of this marker); From Steamboat Landing to City (within shouting distance of this marker); City Market (approx. ¼ mile away); W. H. Morgan & Company (approx. ¼ mile away); J. P. Campbell & Company Building (approx. ¼ mile away); The Old Chouteau Trading Post / Le Vieil Etablissement Commercial Chouteau (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kansas City.
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael W. Kruse of Kansas City, Missouri. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 54 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Michael W. Kruse of Kansas City, Missouri. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement