Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlottesville, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

James Monroe’s First Farm

Site of the University of Virginia

 
 
James Monroe’s First Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
1. James Monroe’s First Farm Marker
Inscription. In 1788 James Monroe purchased an 800-acre farm here to be close to his friend Thomas Jefferson and to establish a law office. In 1799 the Monroes moved to their new Highland plantation adjacent to Monticello and sold the first farm. In 1817 the Board of Visitors of Central College purchased 43¾ acres of Monroe’s old farm, for the Lawn and the Ranges of the “academical village” that Jefferson was planning to build with private contributions. On 6 Oct. President Monroe, with former presidents Jefferson and Madison, laid the cornerstone for its first building, Pavilion VII. On 25 Jan. 1819, Central College was chartered by the General Assembly as the University of Virginia.
 
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number G-23.)
 
Location. 38° 2.167′ N, 78° 30.294′ W. Marker is in Charlottesville, Virginia. Marker is on McCormick Road south of University Avenue (Business U.S. 250), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at the University of Virginia Chapel, near the Rotunda. Marker is in this post office area: Charlottesville VA 22904, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Martin (within shouting distance of this marker); Edgar Allan Poe
University of Virginia’s Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
2. University of Virginia’s Chapel and Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); University of Virginia (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Jefferson Monument (about 400 feet away); William Holding Echols (about 700 feet away); Kappa Sigma Fraternity (about 800 feet away); Technical Sergeant Frank D. Peregory (approx. 0.3 miles away); The University “Corner” (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Charlottesville.
 
Categories. Education
 
James Monroe’s First Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
3. James Monroe’s First Farm Marker
Site of James Monroe’s First Farm image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 2, 2011
4. Site of James Monroe’s First Farm
The original farm house has been expanded and enlarged over the years. Now it's the center of Brown College on Monroe Hill at the University of Virginia. The original law office (1790) remains at the left end of the walkway.
James Monroe’s Law Office (1790) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 2, 2011
5. James Monroe’s Law Office (1790)
The last structure built by James Monroe remaining on Monroe Hill.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,687 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement