“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ray Township in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Wolcott Mill

Wolcott Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 23, 2015
1. Wolcott Mill Marker
Inscription. Wolcott Mill is among the oldest mills in Michigan. Built in the mid-1840s by the Arad Freeman family, early Macomb County settlers. It passed through several owners before Frederick Wolcott purchased it in 1878. The Wolcott family upgraded the business as technology changed. In 1881, the breastshot waterwheel was replaced by a turbine. The millstones where changed to more efficient metal rollers in 1890 and again improved in 1917. Waterpower was used until the mill closed, but it was supplemented by electric power in the 1920s. Declining business caused the Wolcott family to sell the mill in 1967. The Huron-Clinton Metroparks acquired the mill in 1979 for use as an historic interpretive site.
Erected 2012 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2234.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 46.006′ N, 82° 55.634′ W. Marker is in Ray Township, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker can be reached from Kunstman Road 0.6 miles north of 29 Mile Road. Click for map. The marker is in Wolcott Mill Metropark. From the entrance on Kunstman Road, it is about 0.9 miles from the park entrance
Wolcott Mill and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 23, 2015
2. Wolcott Mill and Marker
to the parking lot. From the parking lot, it is about a 0.2 mile walk to the marker next to the mill. Marker is at or near this postal address: 64162 Kunstman Road, Ray MI 48096, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Millstones (a few steps from this marker); Religious Society Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ray Township District No. 1 School (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 3 miles away); Crawford Settlement Burying Ground (approx. 4.6 miles away); Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House (approx. 11.3 miles away); Clinton Grove Cemetery (approx. 11.6 miles away); Saint Mary's School (approx. 11.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ray Township.
Also see . . .  Wolcott Mill Metropark. (Submitted on August 24, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement