Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Windsor in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New Windsor Cantonment

…Going, going, gone!

 
 
New Windsor Cantonment Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
1. New Windsor Cantonment Marker
Inscription. A “cantonment” was a more permanent quarters for troops than an encampment of tents. New Windsor, like Valley Forge, contained orderly lines of log huts that housed troops over the winter. After the Revolutionary War, New Windsor’s huts were sold at auction according to General Washington’s orders to help pay the army’s substantial debts.

According to local tradition, merchant Nathaniel Sackett purchased one of the cantonment’s huts at auction and reused it in nearby Mountainville, where it formed part of a larger home for nearly 150 years. In 1933, the rebuilt hut was dismantled and reassembled here, perhaps the only surviving example of a structure built by the Continental Army.
 
Erected by State of New York.
 
Location. 41° 28.317′ N, 74° 3.586′ W. Marker is in New Windsor, New York, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from Temple Hill Road (New York State Route 300), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located at the New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: New Windsor NY 12553, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary Hut (here, next to this marker); Temple Hill
Continental Army Hut with Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
2. Continental Army Hut with Marker



(within shouting distance of this marker); Unknown Soldier (within shouting distance of this marker); The People of the New Windsor Cantonment (within shouting distance of this marker); Purple Heart Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Publick Building Called the Temple" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Land (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in New Windsor.
 
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker features a photograph of the National Temple Hill Association. The caption describes how the group “formed in 1933 to preserve the site of the army chapel, known as the temple, and materials associated with the cantonment, most notably the hut (pictured behind officers of the association).”

Also on the marker is a reproduction of an ad with the caption “In August 1783, The New York Packet carried advertisements for the sale of the nearly 600 buildings that made up the New Windsor Cantonment.”
 
Also see . . .
New Windsor Cantonment Hut image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
3. New Windsor Cantonment Hut
This hut is the only known structure originally built by the Continental Army. It was returned to the cantonment in 1933.
 New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site. New York State. (Submitted on July 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. MilitaryNotable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Hut Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
4. Hut Dedication Plaque
This Revolutionary Hut was given by Mr. & Mrs. William T. Hand to the National Temple Association, Inc. and re-erected through the generosity of Mr. William Applebye Robinson. Dedicated October 7, 1934.
New Windsor Cantonment Auction Advertisement image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2008
5. New Windsor Cantonment Auction Advertisement
Public Auction advertisement from the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,109 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement