Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lafitte's Grove

 
 
Lafitte's Grove Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 17, 2010
1. Lafitte's Grove Marker
Inscription. Fort and settlement established here in 1817 by the freebooter Jean Lafitte who maintained headquarters here while preying on shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. The Battle of the Three Trees was fought here between Lafitte's men and Karankawa Indians, February, 1821. Fort abandoned and burned in 1821 by Lafitte after his departure was ordered by the United States government.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 7509.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 29° 12.769′ N, 94° 56.128′ W. Marker is near Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Stewart Road mile east of 12-Mile Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. West Galveston Island (approx. 1.4 miles away); Karankawa Campsite (approx. 3.3 miles away); Galveston "News", C.S.A. (approx. 6.5 miles away); Campbell's Bayou (approx. 6.6 miles away); Civil War Fortifications at Virginia Point
Lafitte's Grove Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, December 31, 2013
2. Lafitte's Grove Marker
Additional close-up of full marker.
(approx. 6.6 miles away); Rosewood Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away); The Italian Vault (approx. 7.6 miles away); "Ducky's Beach" (approx. 7.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Galveston.
 
Also see . . .  Laffite's Cove Nature Society. Link to history page the Laffite's Cove Nature Society website. This area is the location of what is called "Mitchell Ridge" by archeologists, a natural ridge no more than 10ft above sea level at its crest, that was inhabited by the indigenous people who lived seasonally on Galveston Island for hundreds of years. Excavations on the ridge, the relic of an ancient dune line, have revealed a rich archaeological record of their presence and lives. In fact, it is widely believed that Mitchell Ridge is where the Spanish Explorer Cabeza De Vaca, the first European to explore what is now Texas and the Southwestern U.S., lived with the native population after being shipwrecked on Galveston Island in 1528. (Submitted on January 3, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Amusement Park at Lafitte's Grove
In 1885, the Galveston Volunteer Fire
Lafitte's Grove marker location. image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 17, 2010
3. Lafitte's Grove marker location.
Department hosted a picnic for the New Orleans Volunteer Fire Department at Lafitte's Grove. In 1897, an amusement park complete with race track, shooting gallery, archery range, picnic area, and surf bathing was located at Lafitte's Grove. The "Little Suzie", a steam locomotive operated by the Galveston and Western Railway Company, pulled a train from Galveston to Lafitte's Grove. The train also served the Nottingham Lace Curtain Factory about a mile east of Lafitte's Grove until it closed in 1896. In 1932, Maco Stewart, Sr. donated a parcel of land at Lafitte's Grove to the Sidney Sherman Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas for use as a picnic park. Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted February 15, 2013, by Jerry D. Penn of Springfield, Virginia.

 
Additional keywords. Pirates
 
Categories. Notable PersonsNotable Places
 
Lafitte's Grove Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney
4. Lafitte's Grove Marker
Panorama behind the marker
Lafitte's Cove Nature Preserve image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, December 31, 2013
5. Lafitte's Cove Nature Preserve
Lafitte's Cove Nature Preserve is located on Eckert Drive, in the subdivision across from the marker, and adjacent to Eckert Bayou. The preserve provides a look at what the area might have looked like in Lafitte's day, and before when this was home to the Karankawas.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,758 times since then and 84 times this year. Last updated on , by Jerry D. Penn of Springfield, Virginia. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.   2. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.   4, 5. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement