Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Castle Clinton

 
 
Castle Clinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 30, 2008
1. Castle Clinton Marker
Inscription. This sandstone fort was built in 1811 as one of five forts erected to defend New York Harbor. The fort originally stood on a small island that was linked to Manhattan by a 200-foot wooden causeway and drawbridge. In the 1850s, landfill extended Battery Park to this point.

The D-shaped fort held 28 cannons, but never saw military action. In 1823 the U.S. Army gave Castle Clinton to New York City, which used the structure in many ways over the next century.

After is designation as a National Monument in 1946, Castle Clinton was restored to its original appearance as a stone fort, and now serves as a National Park Service visitor center.

Text with upper drawing: New York Harbor (below) at the visit of Revolutionary War hero Marquis de Lafayette in 1824 - the year Castle Clinton, the fort, became Castle Garden, the amphitheater. first called the Southwest Battery, this fort was renamed Castle Clinton in 1815 for DeWitt Clinton (right), governor of New York.

History of Castle Clinton

1811 Soutwest Batter, renamed Castle Clinton in 1815, one of five forts to defend New York Harbor.

1824 Castle Garden (below), a fashionable amphitheater that was renovated into a concert hall in 1845.

1855 Emigrant Landing Depot
Second Castle Clinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 30, 2008
2. Second Castle Clinton Marker
This identical marker is located behind Castle Clinton, between the castle and the waterfront.
(below), where eight million newcomers entered the United States between 1855 and 1890.

1896 New York City Aquarium (below), a diverse collection of fish viewed by the public until 1941.

1946 Castle Clinton National Monument, a unit of the National Park System.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. 40° 42.212′ N, 74° 0.985′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Battery Place and State Street. Click for map. Marker is just to the left of the entranceway to Castle Clinton. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Castle Clinton National Monument (here, next to this marker); The Immigrants (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lives of Castle Clinton: (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery Wall Discovery (within shouting distance of this marker); History of the Battery Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); Walloon Settlers (within shouting distance of
Castle Clinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 22, 2011
3. Castle Clinton Marker
This is the marker on the west side of Castle Clinton.
this marker); Manning Castle Clinton’s 28 guns (within shouting distance of this marker); Salvation Army (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEntertainmentForts, CastlesMilitaryNotable PersonsWar of 1812
 
Castle Clinton image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 30, 2008
4. Castle Clinton
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,154 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   4. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement