Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
De Kalb in Saint Lawrence County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The St. Lawrence Plain

Historic New York

 
 
The St. Lawrence Plain Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 29, 2015
1. The St. Lawrence Plain Marker
Inscription. The gently rolling country between the St. Lawrence River and the Adirondack Mountains is cut by the St. Regis, Raquette, Grass and Oswegatchie Rivers. Tumbling from the slopes of the Adirondacks, these swift streams flow in westerly and northerly directions before emptying into the St. Lawrence.
Although the French maintained an Indian mission from 1746 to 1756 at the mouth of the Oswegatchie, Ogdensburg became the first settlement in 1796. In 1791, Alexander Macomb bought four million acres in the "North Country". Purchasers from Macomb surveyed the land and opened it to settlers, many of whom were New Englanders. The St. Lawrence Turnpike constructed in 1810 from Malone to Carthage improved transpotation. Railroads after 1850 led to more rapid development of the region.
Agriculture, dairying, and maple sugar provided the basic economy. Potash production for export was an early local enterprise. Paper mills used the abundant supply of water power which later was harnessed to supply electrical energy. Lead, zinc and talc are found in large quantities. Near Star Lake is the world's largest open-cut magnetite iron mine. Massena is a center for aluminum production. The St. Lawrence Seaway and the New York State Power development add much to the area's economy.
 
Erected 1963 by New York
Northward on US 11 at Rest Stop image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 29, 2015
2. Northward on US 11 at Rest Stop
Compass northeast.
State Education Department, New York State Department of Public Works.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
 
Location. 44° 28.902′ N, 75° 18.104′ W. Marker is in De Kalb, New York, in Saint Lawrence County. Marker is on U.S. 11 0.2 miles west of East De Kalb Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in a rest area across from Hermon-DeKalb Central School. Marker is in this post office area: De Kalb Junction NY 13630, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War of 1812 (approx. 2.4 miles away); Silas Wright (approx. 10 miles away); Canton's Islands / Falls Island in 1898 (approx. 10.1 miles away); The King Iron Bowstring Bridge (approx. 10.1 miles away); Brewer Bookstore (approx. 10.1 miles away); The West Channel of the Grasse River (approx. 10.1 miles away); The Grist Mill (approx. 10.1 miles away); The Sash and Blind Factory (approx. 10.1 miles away).
 
Categories. AgricultureEnvironmentIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
Marker & Rest Stop Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 29, 2015
3. Marker & Rest Stop Entrance
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement