Canton in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Samuel and David Collins began the manufacture of axes in South Canton in 1826. The growing prosperity of Collins and Company caused the rerouting of the Albany Turnpike through South Canton. This necessitated a post office and the name of the industrial area was changed to Collinsville, honoring the name of Collins. In 1850 Samuel Collins persuaded the “Canal Line Railroad” to build a branch to Collinsville, and by 1859 The Collins Company was established as the world’s largest manufacturer of axes and edged tools.
Erected by the Town of Canton
The Canton Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1975 by Town of Canton, Canton Historical
Location. 41° 49.498′ N, 72° 53.702′ W. Marker is in Canton, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Albany Turnpike (U.S. 44) and Canton Green Road, on the right when traveling east on Albany Turnpike. Click for map. Located on the Canton Green. Marker is in this post office area: Canton CT 06019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of Phoebe Humphrey (approx. 0.6 miles away); Constitution Oak (approx. 0.9 miles away); Collinsville, Town of Canton (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Collinsville, Town of Canton (approx. 1.5 miles away); Canton Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Charter Oak Offspring (approx. 1.7 miles away); Collinsville- Railroad from both sides (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Collins Company Plow Building (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Canton.
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to the Town of Canton, Connecticut. (Submitted on August 30, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Canton, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 30, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on December 23, 2016.