Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Chateau de Mores
The grey and red building that you see to the south is the Chateau built in 1883 by Marquis de Mores, a French nobleman, who founded the town of Medora. It was occupied as a part-time residence until the fall of 1886 and was frequently the scene of entertainment for nobility and eastern friends of Madame de Mores (nee Medora von Hoffman) daughter of a New York banker.
In the Chateau are household furnishings and personal effects left by the de Mores family. Many of these 19th century articles were brought from France and have been heirlooms in the family for over 100 years.
Location. 46° 55.03′ N, 103° 31.977′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is on Pacific Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located just west of the Little Missouri River. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Little Missouri Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Frontier Military (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Missouri: The Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Bad Lands Cantonment Medora Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); De Mores Packing Plant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dreams of a Cattle Empire (approx. 0.2 miles away); Loading Dock (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Medora.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.