Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Von Hoﬀman House
In August 1884, Athenais von Hoffman, mother-in-law of the Marquis de Mores, commissioned Peter Book to erect a brick cottage for use by her and her husband, Louis. The new home was completed in 1884 but was probably not occupied until the following summer when the Baron von Hoffman returned for several weeks.
The Von Hoffman House, a rare surviving example of the craftsmanship of brickmason Peter Book, is listed on the National register of Historic Places.
It is difficult to say if the house was used again before 1890, when James Foley, Sr. moved in with his family following a fire that destroyed their home. Foley managed all the de Mores properties from St. Paul to the west coast. In 1914, Madame de Mores transferred ownership of the brick cottage to the Foley family. Three generations of the Foley family lived in the home and served the de Mores family.
After serving for more than forty years as the Medora Doll House, the Von Hoffman House was converted into a museum owned and operated by the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation. It includes original furnishings from the Foley family.
(Marker Number 30.)
Location. 46° 54.833′ N, 103° 31.316′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is at the Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coal Mining (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary’s Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Billings County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Law Enforcement (about 400 feet away); CCC Camp (about 500 feet away); American Indian Leaders (about 500 feet away); Western Entertainment (about 500 feet away); Medora Education (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. A photograph of the Von Hoffman House appears at the bottom of the marker. Elsewhere on the marker are portraits of Louis A. von Hoffman, Athenais von Hoffman, and James Foley, Jr. The later portrait has a caption of “James Foley, Jr., unofficial Poet Laureate of North Dakota, lived for a short time in the Von Hoffman House with his family while teaching in a local school.”
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.