Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Billings County Courthouse
Billings County was formed in 1879 and organized in 1886. Medora became the county seat in 1886, three years before North Dakota became a state in 1889. The first county offices were located in Roberts Hall.
Two small homes built in the 1880s were joined and the single building became the Billings County Courthouse in the early 1900s. The second floor with courtroom was added in 1913.
The Register of Deeds vault (the brick addition on the north side) was added in the 1950s. A new courthouse, next door to the south, was built in 1983. In 1984, county commissioners turned the old courthouse over to the Billings County Historical Society and renamed it the Billings County Museum, whose grand opening took place on May 25, 1986.
The Billings County Museum is owned and maintained by Billings County and run by the Billings County Historical Society. Special highlights of the Museum are the restored courtroom and early pioneer days jail.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(Marker Number 3.)
Location. 46° 54.78′ N, 103° 31.373′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is on 3rd Street north of Pacific Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Law Enforcement (here, next to this marker); CCC Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); American Indian Leaders (within shouting distance of this marker); Western Entertainment (within shouting distance of this marker); Von Hoffman House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Medora Education (about 400 feet away); Margaret Roberts (about 400 feet away); Hunting and Trapping (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker features a photograph of the second courthouse for Billings County. Other photographs on the marker depict Roberts Hall, which housed the first county offices, and the Billings County Courthouse after the second floor was added in 1913.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.