Near Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Easter Fires
In March 1847, when Comanches and whites signed a major peace treaty, the Indians lighted huge signal fires on these hills.
To calm her children's fears, one mother—recalling Easter fires in her native Germany—told them the smoke came from pots in which the Easter Bunny was dyeing eggs with flowers. As the tale spread and pioneers kindled the fires in each year of peace with the Indians, the local yearly celebration arose.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10033.)
Location. 30° 14.142′ N, 98° 50.029′ W. Marker is near Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on State Highway 290 0.1 miles east of Bradshaw Lane, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. There is a pull off area from the shoulder of the road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3443 Hwy 290, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Martin Scott (approx. 1.3 miles away); Pinta Trail (approx. 1.6 miles away); Walch Home Nimitz Hotel (approx. 3.2 miles away); Main Mast from Destroyer USS Foote (DD-511) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fairwater of USS Pintado (SS-387) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Early History of Fredericksburg, Texas (approx. 3.3 miles away); Birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Categories. • Peace • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Renee' Lasswell of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Renee' Lasswell of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.