Fort McMurray, Alberta — The Canadian Prairies
Discovered by Peter Pond in 1778 and used continuously for more than a century for more than a century by fur-traders and explorers, including Sir Alexander Mackenzie, Sir John Franklin, and Sir George Simpson.
Erected 1937 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 56° 43.867′ N, 111° 22.34′ W. Marker is in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Marker is at the intersection of Morimoto Drive and Hardin Street, on the right when traveling south on Morimoto Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort McMurray, Alberta T9H 5E3, Canada.
Also see . . . A brutal portage of great beauty. 2006 article by Stephen Hume in the Vancouver sun. “Within a mile of the termination of the Portage is a very steep precipice, whose ascent and descent appears to be equally impractical in any way, as it consists of a succession of eight hills, some of which are almost perpendicular; nevertheless, the Canadians contrive to surmount all these difficulties, even with their canoes and lading.” — Simon Fraser (Submitted on July 6, 2008.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,043 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.