Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Civil War Siege Cannon
The Union Army used this cannon during the American Civil War, which was fought between 1861 and 1865. Called a siege cannon, it was too big and heavy to be used in most battles. Instead, it was used during sieges, which were lengthy assaults used to capture fortified cities or seaports.
This particular type of siege cannon is called a Parrott Rifle. It was invented in 1860 by a former U.S. Army captain named Robert Parker Parrott, who designed a series of spiral grooves, called riffling, inside the iron barrel, or bore. The riffling made the cannon fire much farther and more accurately than previous bronze cannons that had smooth bores. As a result, this rifled barrel could hit a target almost two miles away. This is one reason more people were killed in the Civil War than in any other war in American history.
Rifled cannons used different types of projectiles: solid shot cannon balls for knocking down brick walls and fortifications; shells with time fuses for making explosions; or case shot, which contained dozens of small iron balls. These balls flew through the air like bullets, killing any soldier in their path.
Today, our Parrot Rifle rests on a modern steel stand so it can be displayed safely. Originally, it would have been on a wooden carriage with wheels, which allowed soldiers with eight
4.2-inch (30-pounder) Army Parrott Rifle, Model of 1861
Manufacturer: West Point Foundry, Cold Springs, New York
Date of manufacture: 1862
Materials: Cast iron with wrought iron breech band
Range: Approximately 2,500 yards
The Union Army used these guns in the sieges of Savannah, Charleston, Vicksburg, Mobile, Richmond, Petersburg, and many other places. It is not known where this particular gun was used.
Gun Crews of Company H, 3rd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery at Fort Lincoln - Defenses of Washington, District of Columbia, 1865
Erected by Atlanta History Center.
Location. 33° 50.548′ N, 84° 23.195′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker can be reached from West Paces Ferry Road NW west of Slaton Drive NW, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Located at the Atlanta History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 West Paces Ferry Rd NW, Atlanta GA 30305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “The Storyteller” (approx. half a mile away); Ward's Div. Encamped 20th A.C.; Pace's Fy. Rd. (approx. 0.6 miles away); 4th A.C. at Buckhead (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sardis Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); Old Cheshire Bridge Road (approx. 1.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Wood's & Newton's Divs. at Peachtree Creek (approx. 1.7 miles away); Ward's Div. Crossed Peachtree Creek (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
Also see . . . Atlanta History Center. (Submitted on September 6, 2015.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.