140 First Street
Historic Building 1868
Was first used as a savings bank and housed banks until 1908. By 1890 the upper floors were used as lodge halls. Other occupants were dentists, real estate, loan, insurance, lawyers, telephone office and living quarters. The first floor has been a jewelry store, harness shop, garage and machine shop, feed, produce and cream buying station. Later, it became Van's Furniture Store. The town's only three story building is now a bed and breakfast. Current owners are Randy and Marie Tarry.
Erected 1992 by Pleasant Hill Downtown Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, Pleasant Hill Downtown Association marker series.
Location. 38° 47.069′ N, 94° 16.447′ W. Marker is in Pleasant Hill, Missouri, in Cass County. Marker is at the intersection of Commercial Street and 1st Street, on the right when traveling west on Commercial Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 1st Street, Pleasant Hill MO 64080, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 136 First Street (a few steps from this marker); 134 First Street (a few steps from this marker); 135 First Street
Also see . . .
1. Pleasant Hill Downtown Historic District, NRHP. (Submitted on September 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Historic Pleasant Hill MO. (Submitted on September 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.