“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Martinsburg in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Civil War Martinsburg

Focus of Contention

Civil War Martinsburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 30, 2012
1. Civil War Martinsburg Marker
Inscription. Martinsburg, strategically located on the Valley Turnpike, (present day U.S. Route 11) and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, was a major transportation center and the northern gateway to the Shenandoah Valley. Both sides contested for it frequently during the war, and it changed hands many times.

In 1861, from late in May through June, Col. Thomas J. Jackson and his volunteers shut down the railroad, burning bridges and rolling stock. Jackson was here again in October 1862, and on his orders the roundhouse and other buildings were destroyed.

Here in the corner of Martinsburg, the courthouse and other buildings around the square are closely associated with the war. The Berkeley County Courthouse served as headquarters for the provost marshal after Union Gen. Robert Patterson’s army occupied the town on July 3, 1861. Pennsylvania soldiers scribbled in the court record books during the occupation. Belle Boyd, the famous Southern spy, later claimed that she was confined in the courthouse overnight after killing a Federal soldier who invaded her home on Queen Street and insulted her mother. In March 1862, Union forces again occupied Martinsburg and established headquarters in the courthouse. Charles J. Faulkner, U.S. minister to France when the war began and later a member of Jackson’s staff, described seeing the county
Civil War Martinsburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 30, 2012
2. Civil War Martinsburg Marker
records loaded on wagons to be taken to Winchester for safekeeping. Faulkner’s home, Boydville, was constructed about 1812 for his father-in-law and still stands nearby. Rear Admiral Charles Boarman, a veteran of both the War of 1812 and the Civil War, lived at 208 South Queen Street, located on the square. During Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early’s Washington raid, part of his army occupied Martinsburg in July 1864.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 27.377′ N, 77° 57.847′ W. Marker is in Martinsburg, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of East King Street (U.S. 11) and South Queen Street (State Highway 45) on East King Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Martinsburg WV 25401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Avenue of Flags Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Federal Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martinsburg / Berkeley Riflemen (about 800 feet away); World War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. Adam Stephen (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Adam Stephen House and Triple Brick Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roundhouses and Shops / Railroad Strike of 1877 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Berkeley Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Martinsburg.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 155 times this year. Last updated on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement