Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Amsterdam in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Green Hill Cemetery

 
 
Green Hill Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Foster, May 29, 2006
1. Green Hill Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Green Hill Cemetery Established 1857 Victorian Rural Cemetery Designed by Burton A. Thomas N.Y.S. & National Registers of Historical Places 2005
 
Erected 2005 by Green Hill Cemetery Association.
 
Location. 42° 56.202′ N, 74° 11.214′ W. Marker is in Amsterdam, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Church Street (State Highway 67), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Amsterdam NY 12010, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "Mother Lake" (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sanford Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chuctanunda Terrace Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Donato (Dan) Persico, Chief T/M (approx. half a mile away); Sweet Canal Store (approx. 0.6 miles away); Guy Park (approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Guy Park, 1766 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hurricana Stock Farm (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Amsterdam.
 
Regarding Green Hill Cemetery. Greenhill Cemetery Association was established on November 2, 1857 at a meeting of the citizens of Amsterdam in Montgomery County, New York with the sole
Dedication of Green Hill Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Foster, May 29, 2006
2. Dedication of Green Hill Cemetery Marker
Peter Betz of Green Hill Cemetery Association reading the dedication information.
purpose of procuring and holding lands to be used exclusively for a Cemetery or a place for the burial of the dead. It was decided that the affairs of the Association would be managed by nine Trustees. Those trustees consisted of John J. Schuyler, Derick W. Ten Brook, Stephen Sanford, Hoel S. Mc Elwain, S. Belding, Jr., John McDonald, Jr., Leonard Y. Gardiner, Charles Devendorf, and Joseph W. Sturtevant. Burton A. Thomas, a civil engineer, was engaged and located the site of the present Green Hill Cemetery. The parcel of land consisted of fourteen acres which was purchased in the spring of 1858 and on September 1, 1858 dedication ceremonies were held. Anthony Holmes became the first Superintendent and he cared for the grounds until 1877. In 1865 twenty six additional acres were purchased.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
Spanish-American War Memorial in Green Hill Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Tom Foster, 2005
3. Spanish-American War Memorial in Green Hill Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Foster of Amsterdam, New York. This page has been viewed 1,172 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Tom Foster of Amsterdam, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement