Canton in Stark County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This mortar was taken by forces acting under the command of Admiral Dewey at Santiago Harbor, Philippines, in August 1898. The mortar was being used by the Spanish in defense of the harbor during the Spanish-American War.
The mortar is made of bronze and was cast in Seville, Spain in 1749 during the reign of King Ferdinand VI. He was King of Spain from 1746 to 1759.
Ferdinand VI D.G. Hispaniar Rex Ferdinand VI by the grace of God
King of Spain
El Persiano Possibly the name of the person or company who made the mortar
Solano Fecit Sevilla Anod 1749 Completed at Seville in the year of Our Lord 1749
Location. 40° 48.666′ N, 81° 23.928′ W. Marker is in Canton, Ohio, in Stark County. Marker is at the intersection of Harrison Avenue NW and 13th Street NW, on the right when traveling south on Harrison Avenue NW. Click for map. Marker is located in Westbrook Veterans Memorial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Canton OH 44702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. French Cannon (here, next to this marker); Base of the Conning Tower of the US Battleship Maine (within shouting distance of this Building the McKinley National Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Symbolism of the McKinley National Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); William McKinley (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named William McKinley (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ohio War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The McKinley National Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Canton.
Categories. • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.