Inscription. For 130 years, this was a road like thousands of others. First called the County Road, then Telegraph Road, it carried farmer's wagons into Fredericksburg or townsfolk to visit relatives in the country. During the 1830s an adjacent landowner built stone walls along the road as it passed below Marye's Heights and "Brompton," the home of John L. Marye. In the 1862 Battle of Fredericksburg, the road shed its former names and became simply the "Sunken Road," one of the most famous byways in America.
By Craig Swain, May 25, 2008
|1. The Sunken Road Marker|
After the Civil War, the road became a typical city street. Much of the original stone wall vanished; houses appeared. But in the 1930s, the National Park Service started reclaiming the road. The Civilian Conservation Corps reconstructed the section of wall in front of you, and the NPS removed postwar houses. In 2004 the road closed to traffic, allowing the NPS to take up its asphalt surface and rebuild the remaining portions of the wall. Today, the road looks much as it did at the time of the battle.
Erected by Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park - National Park Service - U.S. Dept. of the Interior.
Location. 38° 17.606′ N, 77° 28.051′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of
Lafayette Boulevard (State Highway 1) and Sunken Road, on the right when traveling west on Lafayette Boulevard. Click for map. Located at the south entrance to the Fredericksburg National Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
By Craig Swain
|2. Markers at the Entrance to the Cemetery|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fredericksburg National Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Fredericksburg Campaign (a few steps from this marker); The Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac (within shouting distance of this marker); Fredericksburg Battlefield (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 127th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Fredericksburg National Cemetery (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Fredericksburg Campaign (about 400 feet away); Col. Joseph A. Moesch (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photograph of Workers from the Civilian Conservation Corps reconstruct[ing] a missing section of [the] stone wall in 1936. A section of original wall still stands at the northern end of the road.
On the right is a map of the Sunken Road/Marye's Heights walking trail. This half-mile walking tour takes you down the Sunken Road, then climbs the hill, and comes back along Marye's Heights, concluding at the National Cemetery. Those not wishing to climb the hill may return to the parking lot along the Sunken Road.
By Craig Swain, May 25, 2008
|3. Reconstructed Section of the Stone Wall|
Also see . . . Sunken Road Walking Trail Virtual Tour. National Park Service page. (Submitted on July 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,169 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |