Yellowstone National Park in Park County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
A Golden Opportunity / Mission 66 in Yellowstone / The Mission Continues
Privately owned automobiles – the wave of the future – were first permitted in Yellowstone in 1915, but few people owned them then. In 1916, the year the National Park Service was created as a federal agency, nearly 36,000 visitors enjoyed traveling in Yellowstone.
After World War II, new highways stretched across the country and automobiles became affordable for many families, leading vacationers on new adventures. Road trips became a pastime, and national parks grew in popularity as affordable destinations. In 1948, three years after the war ended, the number of visitors to Yellowstone skyrocketed to more than a million.
But during the war years, national parks had suffered from a lack of funds. The visitors who arrived in Yellowstone in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s found structures had fallen into disrepair, and far too few services existed to accommodate growing crowds. As more and more people traveled to their national parks, they marveled at spectacular scenery and historic structures, but they needed basic
Mission 66 in Yellowstone
The Mission 66 program would eventually be the largest capital investment made in the history of the National Park Service, providing the infrastructure that would serve a generation of visitors and beyond.
In addition to modern services and interpretation, the goal of Yellowstone’s Mission 66 program was to move development away from important resources. The scenic area near Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River received rapid attention, and a new village laid out in a convenient
The Mission Continues
The Loop A and Loop C Canyon Cabins were temporary structures built in the early 1950’s. They were one of the very first Mission 66 projects in the entire National Park Service. Affectionately referred to as “brownies” by staff and visitors, the square, flat-roofed cabins represent earliest attempts to provide modern style accommodations to visitors. The cabins have served their
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 44° 44.053′ N, 110° 29.382′ W. Marker is in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, in Park County. Marker is on Grand Loop Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. This a a set of three markers, and is located in Canyon Village near the restaurants. Marker is in this post office area: Yellowstone National Park WY 82190, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mission 66 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grand View (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Grand Canyon Of The Yellowstone (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lookout Point (approx. 0.9 miles away); Waterfall Makers (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (approx. one mile away); Still Venting After All These Years (approx. one mile away); Canyon Colors (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Yellowstone National Park.
More about this marker.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.