Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Masterson in Moore County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Masterson

 
 
Masterson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 15, 2015
1. Masterson Marker
Inscription. In 1927, three companies combined to construct a natural gas plant and pipeline to produce gas for Denver, Colorado. Small houses and a hotel were constructed for married and single workers. A one-room school was soon constructed for the workers’ children on land donated by Miles Bivins, and the small community came to be known as Bivins. In later years the camp and the school expanded.

To meet the demand for helium during World War II, a plant to be operated by the Bureau of Mines was constructed near Bivins; it began production in 1943, after U.S. entry into the war. In order to provide services to the workers at the new Exell Helium Plant, seventy-five homes, garages, a recreation hall and a playground were also constructed at the site. During the late 1940s a post office was established in the community and when the postal service rejected the name “Bivins,” the name “Masterson” was submitted after a prominent area rancher. A Baptist church was organized and attended by members of all denominations, and community activities such as 4-H, boy and girl scouts and home demonstration clubs flourished.

In 1963, residents of the original Bivins site were notified that their homes were to be sold and they must move, and residents at the Exell site also began to move away, leaving both camps practically
View of marker looking north towards Masterson community. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 15, 2015
2. View of marker looking north towards Masterson community.
abandoned by 1970. The local school closed in 1978 and the post office closed in 1984. While the Exell Helium Plant closed in the late 1990s, the Bivins plant continues to gather and produce natural gas.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission and the State of Texas. (Marker Number 16490.)
 
Location. 35° 37.983′ N, 101° 57.571′ W. Marker is in Masterson, Texas, in Moore County. Marker is on U.S. 287 0.2 miles north of Helium Plant Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Masterson TX 79058, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Route of the Old Tascosa-Dodge City Trail (approx. 8.8 miles away); Moore County (approx. 8.8 miles away); First Cemetery in Potter County (approx. 11.6 miles away); The _X (LX) First Ranch in Potter County (approx. 13.3 miles away); The United States Topographical Engineers in the High Plains of Texas (approx. 13.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia article on Masterson. (Submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Texas Escapes Online Magazine story on Masterson. (Submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
3. Story on Exell Helium Plant.
View of marker looking east at oil wells. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 15, 2015
3. View of marker looking east at oil wells.
(Submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement