Near Post in Garza County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(100 Yards North)
Used as a landmark in the 19th century by surveyors sighting from Duffy's Peak, located ten miles northeast. Jasper Hays, earliest recorded surveyor of this area, used the peaks during 1877-78 for charting the Llano Ranch, later bought by C. W. Post, the cereal king. Hays established, in addition, lines from which section surveys were made.
Civil engineer A. L. Marhoff, using the original field notes and book of Hays, surveyed the land bought by Post, 1906. This included the section on which the town of Post was founded, 1907, as well as other property.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5581.)
Location. 33° 12.817′ N, 101° 25.332′ W. Marker is near Post, Texas, in Garza County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 84 0.8 miles east of County Road 165. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Post TX 79356, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. C. W. Post Rain Battles (here, next to this marker); C. W. Post Home (approx. 2.6 miles away); Mason Memorial Building (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Post Sanitarium Garza County Courthouse (approx. 2.8 miles away); Garza County (approx. 2.8 miles away); Charles W. Post (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mrs. Merriweather Post (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Post.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on Twin Chimneys. (Submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.