Post in Garza County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Garza County Courthouse
After Garza County's creation in 1876, it was not until 1907, at the initiative of cereal producer C. W. Post, that the county was formally organized. In 1922, when the population had grown to about 4500 and the cotton industry had spurred economic growth, citizens approved the sale of bonds to finance a new courthouse. The commissioners court selected prominent regional architect Guy Carlander of Amarillo to design the courthouse, and awarded the construction bid to the Fred T. Bone Company, also of Amarillo. Built in 1923 of reinforced concrete with brick exterior and cast stone details, the Garza County courthouse is a late, but fine, example of Prairie School architecture.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12456.)
Location. 33° 11.458′ N, 101° 22.872′ W. Marker is in Post, Texas, in Garza County. Marker is at the intersection of North Avenue L and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on North Avenue L. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Main Street, Post TX 79356, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garza County (here, next to this marker); Charles W. Post (here, next to this marker); Mrs. Merriweather Post (here, next to this marker); Old Post Sanitarium (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mason Memorial Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); C. W. Post Home (approx. ¼ mile away); C. W. Post Rain Battles (approx. 2.8 miles away); Twin Chimneys (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Post.
Also see . . . Garza County Courthouse. (Submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.