Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Press in Snyder

 
 
The Press in Snyder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 16, 2015
1. The Press in Snyder Marker
Inscription.
  The "Scurry County Citizen", published by A. C. Wilmeth before 1887, was first of 8 different nameplates (under 39 owners) to print in Snyder. "Coming West", founded by Dick Lively, began publication in 1887, followed by the "News", "Western Light", "Signal", "Times", and "Times-Signal". All of these were county papers printed weekly, except for period in 1911 when "Signal" was published daily.
  "Snyder Daily News" was founded by Harte-Hanks Newspapers, May 1, 1950, with Herbert Feather as publisher. Feather Printing and Publishing Company acquired the "News" in 1957.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5405.)
 
Location. 32° 42.974′ N, 100° 55.092′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is at the intersection of 26th Street and College Avenue (Texas Route 350), on the right when traveling west on 26th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1806 25th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Fe Railway in Scurry County (a few steps from this marker); Scurry County's Canyon Reef Oil Field (within shouting distance of this marker);
Marker near Scurry County Courthouse. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 16, 2015
2. Marker near Scurry County Courthouse.
County's First Law Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of The MacKenzie Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Company G (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar (about 300 feet away); Site of Store of William Henry "Pete" Snyder (about 300 feet away); Site of Sanitarium of Alonzo Orrin Scarborough (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Snyder.
 
Also see . . .  Current Snyder newspaper website. (Submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicCommunications
 
Scurry County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 16, 2015
3. Scurry County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement