Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
County's First Law Men
First sheriff elected when the county was organized, 1884, was W. W. "Uncle Billy" Nelson. He authorized the first "Calaboose" (jail)—a frame structure only 8 x 10 x 8 feet. Uncle Billy resigned after 6 months since cowboys were an unruly lot.
T. J. Faught was next appointed sheriff, 1885. He gained respect of cowhands when, using a wooden pool cue as a weapon, he calmed a rowdy group in the west side saloon. Faught never wore a gun; was elected 3 terms, 1886—1892.
In original Snyder town plat, a street was named for Sheriff Faught; it is now 27th Street.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1091.)
Location. 32° 43.004′ N, 100° 55.079′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of College Avenue (State Highway 350) and 25th Street (U.S. 180). Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1806 25th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scurry County's Canyon Reef Oil Field (here, next to this marker); Company G (within shouting distance of this marker); Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar Santa Fe Railway in Scurry County (within shouting distance of this marker); The Press in Snyder (within shouting distance of this marker); First State Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Scurry County Courthouse Site and Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of The MacKenzie Trail (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Snyder.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.