Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Scurry County Courthouse Site and Building
Seat of justice for Scurry County, created 1876 and organized 1884. Local landholders--R. H. Allen, Fred Barnard, R. H. Looney, C. C. McGinnis, C. H. McGinnis, T. N. Nunn, W. H. Snyder and H. A. Travekes--donated lots in center of town for the courthouse square. Bonds for construction were purchased by local citizens.
The original 2-story courthouse of locally made red brick was built in 1886 in northeast corner of the square, on site of a former buffalo trail. A jail, built farther northeast, was joined to courthouse by a corridor. Board sidewalks led to the building. A chain hitching rail for horses enclosed the square.
The public windmill, focus for civic and social gatherings, was located in the center of the square.
The commissioners court designated the boundaries of the four county precincts according to the north, east, south, and west lanes approaching the courthouse and these precinct boundaries are still used.
The first courthouse was razed in 1911, after the present one was erected, 1909-11. This building had a dome, which was removed in 1950 remodeling.
A part of the old square is now paved, as today's courthouse visitors require auto space rather than the watering trough and hitching rail.
Erected 1967 by State Historical
Location. 32° 43.019′ N, 100° 55.041′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is at the intersection of 25th Street (U.S. 180) and Avenue R, on the right when traveling east on 25th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1806 25th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Company G (within shouting distance of this marker); Snyder National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); County's First Law Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Scurry County's Canyon Reef Oil Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of The MacKenzie Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Fe Railway in Scurry County (about 300 feet away); Site of Store of William Henry "Pete" Snyder (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Snyder.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.