Decatur in Dekalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur
Wheeler's men, dismounted, were deployed S. of the R.R. & drove Sprague's troops, together with the Chicago Board of Trade & Michigan batteries, (US) to the public square where, out flanked, they withdrew with the wagon trains to the North Decatur Road.
Wheeler made no pursuit because of peremptory orders to rejoin Hardee in E. Atlanta.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 46.534′ N, 84° 17.777′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in Dekalb County. Marker is on East Ponce de Leon Avenue 0.1 miles east of Clairemont Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located on the Decatur square near the Old Courhouse. One block north of the Decatur MARTA Station. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers DeKalb County (a few steps from this marker); Steatite Boulder (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); Houston Mill Millstone (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stoneman Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beacon Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Decatur Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 118 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.