Madisonville in Hopkins County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Rosenwald High School / Professor C. L. Timberlake
Here, Professor C. L. Timberlake established first high school in city for blacks. Rosenwald High School opened in 1932; operated until 1966. Rosenwald Foundation funded its construction. In 1936, basketball team won National Negro tournament. Educators included Whitney Young, Jr., Pearl Arnett, & Caldwell Smith, Sr. Over
Worked lifetime to improve black educational opportunities. Wrote first position paper published by black Ky. educator in 1914. Won citation by National Urban League for outstanding achievement in education, 1949. Served as first black educator on Ky. Textbook Commission, 1950. Lived here after he retired. Over
Erected 2012 by the Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2377.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society, and the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 37° 19.883′ N, 87° 29.586′ W. Marker is in Madisonville, Kentucky, in Hopkins County. Marker is at the intersection of North Kentucky Avenue Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 North Kentucky Avenue, Madisonville KY 42431, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. County Named, 1806 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Courthouse Burned (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gov. Ruby Laffoon (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Hockersmith House (approx. half a mile away); Carlow's Stone Wall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Forrest Reconnoitered (approx. 0.7 miles away); Army of Six (approx. 0.8 miles away); Century of Coal Mining (approx. 4.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madisonville.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.