Port Allen in West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
West Baton Rouge Parish Bicentennial
On March 14, 1699, Iberville and Bienville arrived in the “Bayagoula nation,” where the Bayougoula Indians inhabited the country west of the Mississippi River near Bayou Manchac. The parish’s original 600 square miles were bordered by the Mississippi, Atchafalaya, and False rivers with a boundary across from Bayou Manchac. In 1717, the French Company of the West began issuing land grants in the Territory of Louisiana. The next large group of immigrants were Acadian refugees who settled there in the latter part of the 18th century.
On March 31, 1807, Governor William C. C. Claiborne approved a measure dividing the Territory of Orleans into 19 parishes.
The eleventh of the 19 was named Baton Rouge, which is now West Baton Rouge Parish. The first parish courthouse was established in St. Michel, now present day Port Allen. In 1812 when the State of Louisiana was admitted into the Union, the Parish of Baton Rouge became West Baton Rouge Parish and the land directly to the east across the Mississippi River became East Baton Rouge Parish.
For millennia, soils deposited along the Mississippi banks helped to create a rich agricultural heritage and later successful industries and international commerce would flourish along with the plentiful crops. The parish’s 21,601 citizens live in 3 incorporated towns (City of Port Allen and the towns of Addis & Brusly) and in communities such as Lobdell, Erwinville, and Lukeville. The parish government seat and largest population is in Port Allen. The Port of Baton Rouge ranks as the ninth largest U.S. port and the U.S. Gulf Intracoastal Waterway flows to the Mississippi through the Port Allen Lock.
In 2007 with a rich and diverse history, we celebrate this Bicentennial anniversary.
Erected 2007 by WBR Parish Council.
Location. 30° 27.592′ N, 91° 12.592′ W. Marker is in Port Allen, Louisiana, in West Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is on 8th Street south of Louisiana Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 850 8th Street, Port Allen LA 70767, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Port Allen Prisoner-Of-War Sub-Camp No. 7 Third Parish Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gear from Cinclare Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mississippi River Old Ferry Landing (approx. 0.7 miles away); Louisiana Purchase - West Baton Rouge Early History (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Mississippi River (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Air Mail Flight (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort San Carlos (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Allen.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.