Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Defiance in Augusta County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Augusta Stone Church

 
 
Augusta Stone Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2015
1. Augusta Stone Church Marker
Inscription. The Augusta Stone Church, Virginia's oldest Presbyterian church in continuous use west of the Blue Ridge Mountains, opened on 22 January 1749. It replaced a log meetinghouse build shortly after the congregation's founding in 1740. At the outbreak of the Seve Years' War, Pastor John Craig and members of the church fortified the structure with log palisades and watchtowers to defend against Indian attack. This defensive position inspired the name Fort Defiance adopted by the community that grew around the church. The building was enlarged and remodeled in 1921-22, and a new wing was added in 1956.
 
Erected 2015 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number A-118.)
 
Location. 38° 14.293′ N, 78° 58.46′ W. Marker is in Fort Defiance, Virginia, in Augusta County. Marker is on Lee Highway (U.S. 11) just south of County Route 616, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Defiance VA 24437, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Rev. John Craig (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Augusta Stone Church (within shouting distance of this marker);
Augusta Stone Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2015
2. Augusta Stone Church Marker
Augusta Military Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Willow Spout (approx. 0.4 miles away); Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Grandma Moses in Augusta County (approx. 4.2 miles away); Piedmont Battlefield (approx. 4.4 miles away); Battle of Piedmont (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Defiance.
 
Also see . . .
1. Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church History. “In 1755, after Braddock's defeat, the Valley settlers were most vulnerable to attack by the Indians. Many were in favor of fleeing to the safety of eastern Virginia, but the Rev. Craig persuaded them to hold fast and to build a stockade around the church. Although the Indians never actually attacked the church, the small congregation frequently fled to Stone Church for protection when the alarm was spread that the Indians were on the warpath. Legend has it that the name Fort Defiance derives from the steadfastness and bravery demonstrated by these early Presbyterian settlers.” (Submitted on September 27, 2015.) 

2. Marker Dedication Press Release
Augusta Stone Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2015
3. Augusta Stone Church
. (Submitted on September 27, 2015.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Wars, US Indian
 
View of Augusta Stone Church from the Roadside Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2015
4. View of Augusta Stone Church from the Roadside Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement