Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Market in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Henkel House

 

—Historic New Market —

 
The Henkel House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 26, 2015
1. The Henkel House Marker
Inscription. The Henkel house is another historic home. The brick part was built by Dr. Solomon Henkel, physician and druggist, in 1802. The wooden front part and two rooms upstairs were added by his son, Dr. Solon P.C. Henkel in 1855. A metal plate nailed on the right beside the latch covers the holes broken into the panels by the rifle butts and bayonets of irate Yankee soldiers who had been doused with hot water thrown from the upstairs window.
 
Location. 38° 38.817′ N, 78° 40.333′ W. Marker is in New Market, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on Lee Highway (U.S. 11) south of Old Cross Road (U.S. 211), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9417 Lee Highway, New Market VA 22844, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. John Sevier (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Home of William F. Rupp (approx. ¼ mile away); A Genuine Relic (approx. ¼ mile away); The Shirley House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Battle of New Market (approx. 0.6 miles away); Died on the Field of Honor..."
The Henkel House Patched Front Board and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 26, 2015
2. The Henkel House Patched Front Board and Marker
(approx. one mile away); Baptism of Fire (approx. one mile away); New Market Battlefield Park (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in New Market.
 
Also see . . .  Dr. Solomon Henkel. “At age 16, Rev. Paul Henkel apprenticed his oldest son, Solomon, to Dr. David Jackson, Sr. doctor and druggist in Philadelphia. When the 1793 outbreak of smallpox consumed the town, Mr. Jackson and his family fled, leaving young Solomon Henkel, with only an apprentice’s knowledge, to care for the ill in his part of the city. Solomon would return to his father’s home in New Market around Christmas time, 1793. Between 1795 and 1797, Solomon would live with his father’s family in Staunton and study medicine with Dr. Peter Ahl. Although, Solomon Henkel sold medicines in New Market as early as 1795, he probably established his apothecary on the original town Lot. No. 15 (owned by his father, Rev. Paul Henkel) in the fall of 1797. By 1798, Solomon was recognized as Dr. Henkel and he continued his self-education by reading medical books. Dr. Henkel’s earliest apothecary building, approximately 14 ft. square, was known by the jesting community of New Market as ‘Solomon’s Temple’.” (Submitted on September 27, 2015.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Henkel House Today image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 26, 2015
3. The Henkel House Today
Closeup of the Metal Plate on the Door image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 26, 2015
4. Closeup of the Metal Plate on the Door
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement