Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Came the Railroad

1870

 
 
First Came the Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
1. First Came the Railroad Marker
Inscription. The original site of Longview lay on the western outskirts of Earpville, a pioneer Upshur County community along the old Marshall-Tyle Road (today known as U.S. Highway 80). Founded around 1850 by James Earp, (pronounced "Arpville") consisted of several farmhouses, a post office, blacksmith shop, a church, one or two stores, stagecoach stop and campground.
After the War between the States, Northern capital allowed the Southern Pacific Railroad to expand toward California from the pre-war terminus at Marshall. The Southern Pacific purchased a 100-acre tract in April 1870 from farmer O.H. Methvin, laying out a town site in advance of track construction. The name "Longview," was selected for the new town and was inspired by the scenic view from atop Rock Hill, where Methvin's home was located.
 
Erected 2000 by One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
 
Location. 32° 29.734′ N, 94° 44.212′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Methvin Street and North Green Street. Click for map. Located in Heritage Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Methvin Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
First Came the Railroad 1870 image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
2. First Came the Railroad 1870
this marker. A New County is Born (here, next to this marker); Longview Becomes the Hub for Railroad Expansion (here, next to this marker); The Railroad Transforms a Pioneer Community (here, next to this marker); A Railroad Boom Town Settles Down (a few steps from this marker); "Dolly" — Longview's First Fire Engine (a few steps from this marker); Rails, Timber and Cotton Bring Growth (a few steps from this marker); The Good Old Days (a few steps from this marker); Technology Brings Modern Conveniences (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Longview.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Texas State Historical Association on Longview. (Submitted on September 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Texas & Pacific Engine #642 (Photo from marker) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
3. Texas & Pacific Engine #642 (Photo from marker)
Heritage Plaza image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
4. Heritage Plaza
Location photo at intersection of North Green & East Methvin Streets. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
5. Location photo at intersection of North Green & East Methvin Streets.
Dedication plaque. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
6. Dedication plaque.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement