Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Discovery Wells and Then the Boom!
The Longview Chamber of Commerce offered a prize of $10,000 for the first oil well in Gregg County within 12 miles of the city. Realtor B.A. Skipper — who long had believed there was oil here — and other investors had already begun drilling on a farm owned by Kelly Plow Works' manager, F.K. Lathrop. On Jan. 28, 1931, the well blew in, capable of producing 18,000 barrels per day. The possibility of a single field loomed. The oil boom was on.
Erected 2000 by One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
Location. 32° 29.749′ N, 94° 44.205′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Green Street and East Methvin Street, on the left when traveling north on North Green Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Methvin Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are A City That Grows (here, next to this marker); The Oil Boom Brings Renewal (here, next to this marker); World War II & Its Aftermath (here, next to this marker); The End of the Beginning (a few steps from this marker); Technology Brings Modern Conveniences (a few steps from this marker); Industry Accelerates Economic Growth (a few steps from this marker); Transportation: Model T's, Trains & Trolleys (a few steps from this marker); Completing a Century of Development (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Longview.
Categories. • Exploration • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.