Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A City That Grows
With rapid growth came the need for a modern airport. Land was purchased with county funds from a 1940 bond issue. The Gregg County Airport was opened in summer 1947. Lake Cherokee was developed in the late 1940s by private interests led by banker Verne A. Clements. Forest clearing and excavation for the lake was done by R.G. LeTourneau's company to test his heavy equipment products.
Erected 2000 by One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
Location. 32° 29.75′ N, 94° 44.204′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Green Street and East Methvin Street, on the right when traveling south on North Green Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Methvin Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Discovery Wells and Then the Boom! (here, next to this marker); The Oil Boom Brings Renewal (here, next to this marker); World War II & Its Aftermath (here, next to this marker); Industry Accelerates Economic Growth (a few steps from this marker); Completing a Century of Development (a few steps from this marker); The Fabulous Fifties (a few steps from this marker); The End of the Beginning (a few steps from this marker); Longview Expands Its Influence (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Longview.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on LeTourneau University. (Submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Air & Space • Education • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.