Holland in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church
Dedicated on June 25, 1856, this church was built under the leadership of the Reverend Albertus C. Van Raalte, founder and the first pastor of the Holland colony. Jacobus Schrader designed the Greek Revival style building using native hand-hewn oak for the sills and crossbeams. The copper rooster on the belfry, symbolizing Peter's denial and pride is commonly found on Calvinist churches in the Netherlands. The city's oldest extant church, often referred to as the Pillar Church, was one of the few buildings in Holland to survive the devastating fire of 1871.
The congregation of the Pillar Church was organized in 1847 and worshipped in a log church at the site of the Pilgrim Home Cemetery. Composed of immigrants in secession from the Nederlanse Hervormde Kerk, the church was without denominational ties until it joined the Reformed Church in America in 1850. A division occurred within its congregation in 1882 and the building was assumed by the seceding majority. The minority reestablished itself as the First Reformed Church. Over the years its members, and those of daughter congregations, have sought to fulfill the ideals which inspired the founders to seek a new home in America: freedom of religion; purity of doctrine; and a Christian education for their children in home, school and church.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 47.352′ N, 86° 6.293′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of East Ninth Street and College Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Ninth Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 E. 9th St., Holland MI 49423, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2 (about 800 feet away); Holland Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dutch in Michigan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Third Reformed Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Wing Mission (approx. 2.7 miles away); Ebenezer Reformed Church (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Holland.
More about this marker. Additional information from the church: http://pillarchurch.com/historyandmission/
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.