The White Mills Community Trail
Watching Over Their Livelihood and Their Homes
The earliest fire protection in White Mills was likely informal bucket brigades---neighbors pitching to help when needed. The Dorflinger Guards, a group dating back to the early days in Brooklyn, was a security force whose members probably provided a quick, organized response to fires in the Dorflinger Glass Works. In 1911, the community came together to form the White Mills Fire Department. Members of the community constructed a building to house fire-fighting equipment at the corner of Main and Park Streets. The firehouse also served as a social center for the villagers. When the 1911 building was threatened with demolition as part of a bridge expansion in 1999, descendants of some of the original founders and other preservation-mined people came together to move the building across Main Street to its present location.
(Inscription beside the image on the left)
On a cold January night in 1917, a fire of unknown origin destroyed two buildings of the Dorflinger Glass Works. As employee Edward F. Rice hurried from his home to call a physician, he discovered the fire in the packing room on the first floor of a three-story frame building. The second and third floors were the etching and engraving departments. In a short time the entire structure was a mass of flames that spread to a two-story brick building (the second story
(Inscription under the photo in the upper right)
Front Row, left to right: Bill Hittinger, Joseph Stephens, Bill Weeks, Fred Houth, John Dorflinger. Back row: Art Firmstone, Louis Aug, John Tuman, Fred Hertel, John Gumper, Fred Suydarn, Charles Austin, Ralph Brown. (Inscription beside the photo in the upper right) On August 12, 1919, meeting was held in White Mills for the purpose of organizing a fire department. The hall was erected in 1911 on land donated by Charles Dorflinger under the supervision of Fred Houth, master carpenter, at the pay rate of $1.50 per day. The equipment purchased in 1911 consisted of a ladder truck, which carried six ladders, four ropes, and twenty-two ten-gallon pails. Engines #1 and #2 carried four lengths of hose, sod-acid extinguishers, lanterns, and nozzles. Two hose carts completed the early equipment. All of these units were hand drawn.
(Inscription under the image on the bottom right)
Wayne W. Stephens, whose grandfather Joseph was the White Mills Fire Departmentís first president, led the community effort to save the old firehouse in the way of a modern, two-lane concrete bridge. On Columbus Day, October 11, 1999, the historic structure was raised from its foundation and relocated to a safe location, several hundred feet away. The building crept at a snailís pace in a trip that took nearly the entire day to complete. The project closed Route 6 for the day and required the time and effort of dozens of individuals.
Erected by Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary.
Location. 41° 31.558′ N, 75° 12.181′ W. Marker is in White Mills, Pennsylvania, in Wayne County. Marker is on Main Street (US 6-Texas Palmyra Hwy). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Mills PA 18473, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The White Mills Community Trail (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The White Mills Community Trail (a few steps from this marker); Dorflinger Glass Works (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Hawley (approx. 3.4 miles away); Stourbridge Lion (approx. 4.2 miles away); Delaware & Hudson Canal (approx. 4.2 miles away); Lincoln Nomination (approx. 4.3 miles away); Wayne County (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in White Mills.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.