Sunbury in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Colonel John McIntosh commanded the garrison on November 25, 1778, when Col. L.V. Fuser, with 500 British ground troops, supported by armed ships in the Medway river, landed at Sunbury and demanded the immediate surrender of Fort Morris. Colonel McIntosh, with 127 Continental troops, some militia and citizens of Sunbury, less than 200 men in all, replied, "Come and Take It !"
The enemy retreated to the South, and Continental troops held Fort Morris until January 9, 1779, when it was captured by British forces.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-12A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 45.672′ N, 81° 16.955′ W. Click for map. Located at the visitor center for Fort Morris/Sunbury Historic Site. The center is located off Fort Morris Road, at the end of the Colonels Island Highway (Ga Route 38). Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Sunbury Road (approx. half a mile away); Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sunbury (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saint John's Lodge Number Six (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dead Town Of Sunbury (approx. 0.7 miles away); Colonel's Island (approx. 3.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sunbury.
Regarding Fort Morris. Fort Morris State Park
The Fort Morris site was originally a Guale Indian village, closely tied to the settlements and Spanish missions on nearby St. Catherine's Island. It was here, on February 21, 1734, that General James Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, held the first Masonic meeting in the new British colony. The American Revolution brought considerable changes to the region. In 1776, delegates attending the Continental Congress recognized the strategic importance of having a fort to protect Georgia's middle coast from attack by the English navy. On a low bluff of the Medway River, near the important colonial seaport of Sunbury, a fort was constructed and garrisoned by 200 patriots. Fort Morris defended Georgia against the British again during the War of 1812, when it was known as Fort Defiance.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,323 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9. submitted on January 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.