Alexander in Rush County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Trail
Established in 1867, the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Trail, which passed near this spot, was first used by the military and some civilian traffic in 1868. The following year Alexander Harvey, a former member of the Sixth Cavalry, built a trading post on the trail on the north bank of Walnut Creek near here, and provided a place to ford the creek.
A few years later, the town of Alexander was founded nearby, taking its name from Alexander Harvey, the original owner of the trading post.
The bulk of the military usage of the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Trail was over when the Santa Fe Railroad reached Dodge City in 1872. However, it continued to be used for several more years regularly by civilian traffic - hunters, freighters, traders, and settlers. (Marker Number 113.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kansas Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 27.967′ N, 99° 33.489′ W. Marker is in Alexander, Kansas, in Rush County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 96 and Whippet Avenue, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 96. Click for map.
The marker is located in a Kansas state highway 96 rest stop pull-out, at the west edge of Alexander, Kansas. Marker is in
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Entre Nous College (approx. 8.4 miles away).
More about this marker.
The marker light paint on dark wood and large, about 4 feet square. It is in good condition.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Trail.
Established in 1867, the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Trail was utilized to transfer supplies from the railhead at Fort Hays to Fort Dodge, some 75 miles distant, as well as being an access point for emigrants and traders to the Santa Fe Trail. When the railhead from Fort Harker was moved to Hays, the U.S. Postal Department ordered Barlow, Barlow & Sanderson Company to initiate mail deliveries from Hays to Santa Fe, New Mexico, effective November 1, 1867. (Submitted on October 12, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Road.
In the spring of 1867, Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock, Commander of the Department of the Missouri, transverses Kansas with fifteen hundred troops, making a show of force to the southern plains tribes. During this campaign, Hancock, old quartermaster that he was, recognized the need for a road between Forts Hays (Submitted on October 12, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Trail.
All supplies for Fort Dodge were shipped to Fort Hays over the Union Pacific Railroad, and then hauled overland through a country infested with Indians. In 1867 the government officially established the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Trail, beginning in Ellis county, it crossed Rush, Ness and Hodgeman counties, terminating at Fort Dodge. (Submitted on October 17, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.